Rotational Mechanics - 2

Shanmugarajan B
0

Today let us deal with the calculation of moment of inertia.

In Rotational Mechanics - 1, we dealt with the question what is moment of inertia. Now lets deal with calculation of moment of Inertia (I).

I = dm r.......   1

Ring (Mass M and radius R) (about an axis passing through centre of ring perpendicular to the plane of the ring):



For a ring of mass M and radius R, consider a small point object dm. All the point object dm are at a distance of r from the centre of axis. So

I = R∫ dm

I = M R2

Disc: (Mass M and radius R) (about an axis passing through centre of disc perpendicular to the plane of the disc):



Consider a small ring element of mass dm at a distance r from the centre. Then calculation of moment of inertia is as follows:

I = ∫dm r2

Calculation of dm is as follow:

dm = (M / πR2)(2πr dr)

Substitute dm in equation 1

I = ∫ 2 M r3 dr / R2

Click me

I =  ∫ 2 M R2/4

Note the limits of integration is from 0 to R in both cases 


Post a Comment

0 Comments
Post a Comment (0)
To Top